Tax Rebates for Social Workers


As a social worker you’re busy helping other people with their lives but who can help you with yours – especially your tax and finances? Visit  Healthcare Worker Tax Rebate and see how you can claim a tax rebate because, since you probably pay subscriptions to a body approved by Her Majesty’s RevenueCustoms you can claim tax relief on this expense.

Here are some such organisations you likely subscribe to:

Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)

If you are registered with the HCPC you could be claiming £30 per year or more from the tax you’ve paid against these subscriptions. The HCPC has absorbed a number of other bodies which also had tax deductible subscriptions, such as the General Social Care Council, and if you’ve paid to the GSCC you can also claim tax relief for those subscriptions.


If you’re a member of the union Unison and you work in a care setting you can claim tax back on those subscriptions. The amount is based on the subscription you paid to Unison, but it could be £36 a year – or more if you are a higher rate tax payer.

Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) and the Care Council for Wales (CCW)

Paying a SSSC or CCW subscription could net you up to £12 a year, depending on your circumstances.

British Association of Social Workers (BASW)

If you pay subscriptions to the BASW you could be due around £50 per year in tax relief.
You can backdate your claim for the previous FOUR tax years which could add up to £200 or more, even if you only pay subscriptions to one of the bodies. You’ll also get the tax relief in your pay going forward for the current and future years, so you’ll keep saving.

How do I claim?

Just enter your details to get the forms to claim. It’s really easy to do and you can complete your part of the claim in seconds.