Tax rebates for Emergency Medical Workers


Paramedics and ambulance workers spend their time looking after the public, but who helps them when it comes to making the most of their hard-earned pay? That’ll be Healthcare Worker Tax Rebate because, as an employee in the sector, you are allowed to claim tax relief on certain necessary costs of your employment. However, due to lack of time or because staff don’t know how to apply, most of these reliefs go unclaimed.

Here’s what you can claim for:

Registration fees

Many ambulance workers are registered under the Health Care Professions Council (HCPC), formerly the HPC (Health Professions Council), and the cost of this is allowable for tax relief. Usually, anyone registered with the HCPC can claim tax relief at around £30 per year – or £60 per year for higher rate taxpayers.

Union membership

If you work in healthcare you can claim tax relief on membership fees with Unison. The amount on which you are allowed to claim tax relief is restricted, but if you pay the highest subscription rate you could be due around £35-£70 per year in tax.

Upkeep of equipment and uniform

Ambulance staff on active duty are given an allowance to cover the cost of upkeep and laundry of their uniforms and this can be worth between £36 and £72 per year, depending on which rate of tax you pay.
This all adds up – plus, you can backdate your claim over the previous FOUR tax years, even if you’ve had several jobs or left your job in the ambulance service. For the current and future tax years you can get tax relief through your tax code which means you’ll get a little less tax deducted from your pay packet.

How to claim

Simply enter your details get the forms and start your claim straight away. It’s really easy to do and you can complete your part of the claim in less than seconds.