Tax Rebates for Radiographers


As a radiographer you are used to checking things on film and screen but, with shiftwork and long hours, you may not have the time to watch over your personal finances and tax. Here’s where Healthcare Worker Tax Rebate can help, because you may well be able to claim a tax rebate. Staff can claim tax relief on certain necessary expenses of their employment but often these go unclaimed because they don’t have the time or don’t know how to apply.

Here’s what you can claim for:

Registration fees

Many radiographers are registered under the Health Care Professions Council (HCPC) which was formerly the Health Professions Council (HPC) and the cost of this is allowable for tax relief. Usually, anyone registered with the HCPC can claim tax relief at around £30 per year – or £60 per year for higher rate taxpayers.

Society of Radiographers membership

If you pay subscriptions to the Society of Radiographers (SOR) you can also claim tax relief on these. This could be worth £50-£100 per year depending on the rate of tax you pay.

Union membership

If you work in healthcare you can claim tax relief on membership fees with Unison. The amount on which you are allowed to claim tax relief is restricted but if you pay the highest subscription rate you could be due around £35-£70 per year in tax.

Upkeep of equipment and uniform

Radiographers receive an allowance to cover the cost of upkeep and laundry of their uniforms and this can be worth between £20 and £40 per year, depending on the rate of tax you pay.
These allowances all add up – plus, you can backdate your claim over the previous FOUR tax years, even if you have had several jobs or even left your job. For the current and future tax years you can get tax relief through your tax code so you get less deducted from your pay.

How to claim

Just enter your details to get the forms to claim. It’s really easy to do and you can complete your part of the claim in seconds.