Tax Rebates for Chiropodists and Podiatrists


If you're a chiropodist or podiatrist employed in the UK you may, like many healthcare workers employed in the NHS and private sector, be feeling the pinch of the cost of living crisis with rising prices with increased pension contributions and a real terms reduction in your pay. Here’s where Healthcare Worker Tax Rebate can help, because you may well be able to claim a tax rebate. Staff can claim tax relief on certain necessary expenses of their employment but often these go unclaimed because they don’t have the time or don’t know how to apply.

There is a time limit for claims so it's important to submit as soon as possible or risk losing money.

Here’s what you can claim for:

Registration fees

Many chiropodists and podiatrists are registered under the Health Care Professions Council (HCPC) which was formerly the Health Professions Council (HPC) and the cost of this is allowable for tax relief. Usually, anyone registered with the HCPC can claim tax relief at around £30 per year – or £60 per year for higher rate taxpayers.

Institute of Chiropodists and Podiatrists membership

If you pay subscriptions to the Institute of Chiropodists and Podiatrists (IOCP) you can also claim tax relief on these. This could be worth £45-£90 per year depending on the rate of tax you pay.

Union membership

If you work in healthcare you can claim tax relief on membership fees with Unison. The amount on which you are allowed to claim tax relief is restricted but if you pay the highest subscription rate you could be due around £35-£70 per year in tax.

Upkeep of equipment and uniform

Chiropodists and podiatrists receive an allowance to cover the cost of upkeep and laundry of their uniforms under catergory 2 on HMRC's list of health care types, for laboratory staff. This can be worth between £20 and £40 per year, depending on the rate of tax you pay.

These allowances all add up – plus, you can backdate your claim over the previous FOUR tax years, even if you have had several jobs or even left your job. For the current and future tax years you can get tax relief through your tax code so you get less deducted from your pay.

How to claim

Just enter your details to get the forms to claim. It’s really easy to do and you can complete your part of the claim in seconds.